I have been pleasantly surprised by how many things are actually really easy to make at home. So many things sound super intimidating to make and I think people are very put off by that, so they don’t even try. I have found that making things from scratch is ultimately cheaper and healthier than store bought alternatives. And once you get the hang of them, they really don’t take very much time!
Here is a list of things that sound intimidating but are actually not hard.
1. Almond milk. Can you operate a blender? Perfect. Can you strain liquids? Excellent. You can make almond milk (or any other nut milk for that matter).
2. Nut butter. Can you operate a food processor? Can you be somewhat patient? Then you can make nut butter. Mine usually takes 15-20 minutes, depending on what nut I am using.
3. Cold brew coffee. If you can combine coffee and water and then strain it, you can make your own cold brew!
4. Barbecue sauce. Got a stove? You’re all set. Making your own BBQ sauce means avoiding all the nasty stuff that is in commercial ketchup:
And all the nasties they put in barbecue sauce:
And you don’t have to eat all these:
6. Jerky. This is super simple if you have a dehydrator, but I have found a method for making it in the oven as well. Marinate your meat in whatever you want… I like to mix up ground beef with sriracha and make that into jerky. Seriously just beef and sriracha. I smash my beef between pieces of parchment paper, cut it into strips and throw them in my dehydrator. No jerky gun needed.
7. Flour. Oat flour is probably the easiest thing on the planet to make. Put it in a food processor and pulverize until it is a flour consistency.
9. Hummus. Can you put beans in a blender/ food processor and turn it on? Too easy. You can sub almond butter or peanut butter for the tahini – it will affect the taste a little, but not significantly.
There you have it folks – 9 things that sound intimidating, but really aren’t! Give one a shot this week and let me know how it goes!!