As I mentioned last week, I spent a whole weekend prepping and cooking food. It was great. And a little stressful, since I was planning, prepping, and cooking food in addition to coordinating a party.
But the day of the party came around and I put on my ninja-chef bandanna, my aviators and got to cooking. My first order of business was to grill some veggies for this salad. I love grilled vegetables. I loved grilled food, period. Something about that delicious smokiness just makes me happy. After attempting to blow the grill up (sorry, Dad!), it all went off without a hitch.
Grilled Veggie and Wild Rice Salad
2.5 cups wild rice, uncooked
2 yellow squash
1 red onion
2 bell peppers
Seasonings to taste – I used salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon juice. Herbamare would also be a great choice.
1. Don’t blow your grill up.
2. Cook your rice. I put it in the rice cooker (using a 2:1 water:rice ratio).
3. Slice your zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise into long strips, cut your peppers into strips, and I cut my onions into rings.
4. Brush your veggies with a little bit of oil.
5. Grill on medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side or to your desired doneness. I also like using a grill pan, but these can all go straight on the grill, no problem.
6. Chop up your veggies into smaller pieces and toss them with the rice and seasonings.
7. Serve hot or cold – both are delicious!